Sunday, 1 May 2022

"Stompers, Floaters & Floorshakers" - CD2

50 Northern Soul tracks, quite a number I haven't seen on other commonly available compilations, enough of which are absolute classics of the genre. It's that choice of slightly less well known tracks interspersed with well known examples that make this a good buy - nothing here I'd skip...
...The majority of the collection is firmly rooted in the mid to late 60's, although Don Thomas' fabulous Come On Train dates from 1972, one of only two tracks from this era, and there is a dip back to the early 60's for Willie Harper's But I Couldn't and The Showmen's The Wrong Girl. Classics that pop up include - Dee Clark's That's My Girl, The Valentines' Breakaway and Betty Everett's well known Getting Mighty Crowded.
What I like about this collection is a well curated selection of huge Northern Soul favourites interspersed with some (to these ears) unknown tracks which have helped widen my appreciation of the genre further. There are plenty of compilations that go down the tried and trusted route, this one doesn't and is all the better for it. One to buy after the more obvious choices.

trax:
1. Lonely For You, Baby - Sam Dees 2. Breakaway - The Valentines 3. Let The Music Play - Didi Noel 4. You're Gonna Need Me - Ted Ford 5. I Love You Always - The Rivingtons 6. You'll Allways Be In Style - Sydney Barnes 7. Double Life - Jerry Fuller 8. Don't Let Me Down - Fred Hughes 9. Spring Song (New Girl) - The Accents 10. Running For My Life - Roscoe Shelton 11. The Wrong Girl - The Showmen 12. Who Is She? - Lucky Laws 13. Come On Train - Don Thomas 14. Baby, What's Happened To Our Love - The Ringleaders 15. Why Don't You Write - Lee Bates 16. My Man Don't Think I Know - Gwen Davis 17. Hold On - Jackie Beavers 18. But I Couldn't - Willie Harper 19. I've Got The Feeling - The Soul Ambassadors 20. Dont You Worrey - Joe & Mack 21. Even The Score - Beverley Shaffer 22. Don't Leave Me - The Admirations 23. I Testify - Otis Clay 24. Who You Gonna Love? - The Accents 25. Sweet And Easy - The Van McCoy Strings
…served by Gyro1966...

4 comments:

RYP said...

"Stompers, Floaters & Floorshakers" - CD2
…served by Gyro1966...
gitit! no pw
https://www112.zippyshare.com/v/OpIwMFVA/file.html
or:
https://www.imagenetz.de/EmSbj

Jean-Jacques Mura said...

Thanks for this collection.

dc_animal said...

Thank you!

lemonflag said...

Thanks