Monday, 16 May 2022

"Destination Frantic!" - U.S. '60s Garage Galore

Manic & Moody Sixties Garage-Punk Beyond Understanding - 30 Boss Trax From The USA!
Here’s another excellent garage comp compiled by my buddy from down under, kustom-65. It was released in 1998 and quickly sold out - here’s your chance to hear it if you didn’t scoop it up then!
- Gyro1966
I don't expect any Herculean work from a small label but the people at Zone 66 have understood the basic rule of good reissues. Uno, don't be cheap, you got 78 minutes available on a CD, so use them for chrissake! Secondo, try to avoid stuff that's already all over the place: as far as I know, 20 out of 30 tracks are resurrected for the first time (and only one over-reissued). Thirdo, get us the best sound you can get: I really got no reason to complain here. But the most important is to deliver the good stuff! Well, I'd like to say that, again, I'm satisfied. This ain't no Back From The Grave-type of wildness (except for the great Changing Tymes), but mostly good moody/mid tempo punkers. You can even hear pop influences here and there, which is fine as far as I'm concerned -check the Jades or Harley & the Night Riders (a Mike Curb production).
Two pretty big bands are featured: the Critters and the Cryan' Shames. The latter offers us their best cut, the amazing "Ben Franklin's Almanac." This one sounds like a jam between the Byrds and the Pretty Things with the Kinks joining for the breaks! Wow! I also dig a lot the opening track, "You Need Me" by Psycho (what a name!), a cool mod swinger, as well as the Big Itch/Bug Out style number by the Mo-Shuns. Get this on sight, there are just 500 of these babies. - Laurent Bigot (Originally published in Ugly Things #16, 1998)
trax:
1. Psycho - You Need Me 2. The Flares - Forever 3. The Changing Tymes - Try A Whole Lot Harder 4. The Crucibles - You Know I Do 5. The Images - My Kinda Woman 6. The Plagues - Why Can't You Be True 7. The Aardvarks - I Don't Believe 8. The Mavericks - Life Ain't No Bucket Of Roses (Tenement Boy) 9. The Tropics - For A Long Time 10. The Cordials - Misery 11. Harley & The Night Riders - Won't You Help Me 12. Evil - Always Running Around 13. The Critters - No One But You 14. The Happy Return - Longed For 15. The Corvets - You Don't Want Me 16. The Blue Velvets - Don't Leave Me This Way 17. The Cutaways - I'll Never Fall In Love Again 18. The New Invaders - Don't Let Me Down 19. Pat Farrell & The Believers - Bad Woman 20. The Roosters - You Gotta Run 21. The Jades - Confined Congregation 22. The Lyrics - Mr. Man 23. The Mo-Shuns - The Way She Walks 24. Creation's Disciple - Psychedelic Retraction 25. The Cryan' Shames - Ben Franklin's Almanac 26. The Boys From New York City - I'm Down Girl 27. The Gents - I Wonder Why 28. The Shags - Smiling Fenceposts 29. The Rare Breed - I Talk To The Sun 30. Soul, Inc. - The Leaves Of Grass
…originally served by Gyro1966...

6 comments:

RYP said...

"Destination Frantic!" - U.S. '60s Garage Galore
gitit! no pw
https://mega.nz/file/Rb4ASB5J#T-znhoUzxxdY4uhKBV_fLOYgUpy1yxKG4z5YAUd8SBc

hotrodmike said...

Nice comp, thanks!

lemonflag said...

Thanks

Psychfan said...

Thank you RYP and Gyro!

zipper said...

Thanks RYP.

Christine said...

This looks awesome, thank you!