Tuesday, 18 January 2022

The Brandos "Honor Among Thieves" 1987

A strong debut that doesn't waste a track. Talent shows from all sides the record. While listening to it, you want to seek out follow-ups. For a record guy, their tough to find. This is a 9 out of 10. - Tim Pendleton
A must for indie-rock fans! The Brandos play with great verve on this strong set of compositions. "Gettysburg," an anti-war song that spans three generations of loss has both passion and purpose. Further on, they cover John Fogerty's "Walk On The Water" making it their own in the process. While often coming off like angry young men, "Come Home" shows a softer, more melancholy side of a band that can rock out with the best of them. It's a shame more hasn't been heard from them. - AllMusic Review by James Chrispell
trax:
01 Gettysburg 02 Matter of Survival 03 Nothing to Fear 04 Honor Among Thieves 05 Strychnnine 06 Hard Luck Runner 07 In My Dreams 08 Walking on the Water 09 Come Home

4 comments:

RYP said...

The Brandos "Honor Among Thieves"
gitit! no pw
https://www29.zippyshare.com/v/Oc0NXE2A/file.html

Guypinot said...

Two members of the Brandos - David Kincaid and Larry Mason - were members of the Seattle band known as the Allies. They were part of the trio that in 1982 released their song "Emma Peel". That band broke up in 1985

Konrad Useo said...

I have this vinyl album, & you have it correct. It's a gem! Cool post. ty

Josh W. said...

This really is a great album throughout, and there is a strong Fogerty influence, but that is not a detraction at all. I would say that it sounds rather blue collar and Midwestern (even though that's not where they came from), but it's probably just projection on my part. I've looked for their other albums, but if memory serves me right, they're only available in Europe and expensive to import. I'd love to hear more of what they had to offer.
Thanks Guypoint for the head's up on The Allies; I'll have to see what I can turn up.