DOUBLE NAUGHT SPY CAR, L.A. Weekly Music Awards Best Instrumental Band of 2002, burst from Tinsletown's contorted psyche to provide underscore for America's descent into an opiated social contract and overt corporate tyranny. In sweat drenched shows harkening back to 1950s jazz clubs, the grinding Telecaster and spasmodic steel of Paul Lacques, the gurgling Stratocaster of Marcus Watkins, the revisionist / reductionist bass of Marc Doten, and the all knowing unyielding drums of Joe Berardi beguile, bewilder, bait, and beatify their audience - and all with no pesky vocals or lyrics to water down the twang and throb...
...Double Naught Spy Car is a heavy sort of instrumental Surf/Heavy kinda-sorta Rock/Spy with a Pedal Steel Guitar... sort of... melting throughout (Actually, I don't know what genre to put it in, except that it's loosely based on Surf.) I do know that they took their name from a Beverly Hillbillies episode where Jethro was being a double naught secret spy - which made their car a... Double Naught Spy Car!
Here's a quote from BAM Magazine:
"Have you ever wondered what King Crimson would sound like if they were a, oh, let's say, 'bar band'? Probably not, but that description certainly fits Double Naught Spy Car, a quirky quartet with leanings toward Captain Beefheart, surf music and prog rock. Yes, it's just as wacked-out as it sounds, but what a sight they are to behold on stage. I saw 'em at Spaceland a few weeks back and the place was packed (duh, it was Monday night-no cover!). Jim Freek, BAM Magazine"

trax:
01 Danger High Fight Song 02 Danger High! 03 Lily St - Cyr 04 Macedonia 6-5000 05 What's Your Hurry 06 Pork Rendr'ns 07 Helicopter 08 Possum Innards 09 Naked Lurch 10 Someone's Creeping In My Yard 11 Kay Sara Sarah 12 Crosseyed San Paku 13 Jimmy Carter 14 Marina De Hayride 15 The Mayor's Procession
...originally served by Eek! The Cat (R.I.P.)...
3 comments:
Double Naught Spy Car "Danger High" 2002
gitit! no pw
https://www.imagenetz.de/gTeis
Thank you for sharing this again. The first time it was posted on TZ, I neglected to download it. When I wanted to go back for it, I could not remember the band name! Instrumental group... something about 007 and a car...
I Like It! Thanks.
Post a Comment