Harley Davidson (his real birth name, by the way) has an ongoing schtick where he sprays his pompadour about a hundred times throughout the show. His guitar is set up somehow with an iron bar on it, so that at the highlight of the show he brings out a power saw and "plays" guitar with it, spraying a torrent of sparks into the crowd.
At one point (I think right after Tiki Man came out) they toured with two bass players - "The Wall of Thunder," they called it. Les Vegas (the drummer) later started a ritual where he would leave his drum kit, the band would leave the stage and he played some gypsy music (I think it was) on a handheld tape recorder and danced practically naked with rubber snakes and dolls. Some nights he would do this many, many times. Les left the band after Tijuana Hit Squad. I heard he moved to Las Vegas (of course) and became seriously mentally ill and the band couldn't even locate him.
My band opened for Deadbolt once. We were at the gig early and there was plenty of time with no audience. If these guys are just "playing parts," I can guarantee you they never stepped out of character. I tend to believe their stage personalities are who they really are. I dated a girl once who had visited them at their home, and she reported their house was full of bullet holes.
My favorite Harley story was after a show I was hanging out at a fellow musician's house and the band showed up. Harley had an oxygen mask, which was not hooked up to anything, but the tube led to his back pocket. He would reach for the mask and breathe deeply every now and then, recreating Dennis Hopper's character from Blue Velvet. Early in the evening, Harley decided he didn't much like me, and spent most of the night trying to scare the hell out of me. I don't know if he was just having fun or for real, but I did worry a bit that if I hadn't been amongst friends, Deadbolt might've tied me up and thrown me in the back of their van....
I guess what I'm saying is, if you ever get the chance, you must go see Deadbolt live." - Billy K
01 Scare Me 02 Voodoobilly Man 03 Who The Hell Is Mrs. Valdez 04 Tiki Man 05 Insecto 06 Patches The Clown 07 Twange Zombie 08 Channel 5 09 The Meat 10 Mambo Room 11 Chuty's House Of Beer 12 Cockeye 13 The Lucy Joke
…originally served by Billy K...

2 comments:
Deadbolt "Tiki Man" 1994
gitit! no pw
https://www.imagenetz.de/VKoXg
Thanks RYP!!!
Post a Comment