Sunday, 17 May 2015

SAM COOKE "The Songwriter"

Sam Cooke is undeniably one the greatest singers of all time, but he also had some killer writing chops which he put to good use not least on his own label SAR records in the early sixties. Remind yourself of Sam's singing prowess on disc 1 and acquaint yourself with his songwriting proficiency on disc 2, sung by the likes of Johnnie Morisette and The Sims Twins.trax disc 1:
01 Wonderful World 02 Having A Party 03 Chain Gang 04 Bring It On Home To Me 05 Cupid 06 You Send Me 07 Only Sixteen 08 Sad Mood 09 Twistin' The Night Away 10 Sugar Dumpling 11 You Were Made For Me 12 Loveable 13 Movin' And Groovin' 14 I'll Come Running Back To You 15 Somebody Have Mercy 16 Love Me 17 One More Time 18 Nothing Can Change This Love 19 Win Your Love For Me 20 (Don't Fight It) Feel It
trax disc 2:
1. Soothe Me - The Sims Twins 2. Rome (Wasn't Built In A Day) - Johnnie Taylor 3. I'm Alright - Little Anthony & The Imperials 4. Sho' Miss You Baby - Johnnie Morisette 5. Wade In The Water - The Soul Stirrers 6. Dance What You Wanna - Clifton White 7. Don't Fight It, Feel It - The Sims Twins 8. Never (Coming Running Back To You) - Johnnie Morisette 9. You're Workin' Out Your Bag - L.C. Cooke 10. I'll Keep Thinking Of You - Kylo Turner 11. Stand By Me Father - The Soul Stirrers 12. Nobody Loves Me Like You - The Flamingos 13. Meet Me At The Twistin' Place - Johnnie Morisette 14. The Smile - The Sims Twins 15. Somewhere There's A Girl - The Valentinos 16. You're Pickin' In The Right Cotton Patch - The Sims Twins 17. Wildest Girl In Town - Johnnie Morisette 18. Hold Me - Jackie Ross 19. Jesus Be A Fence Around Me - The Soul Stirrers 20. In My Heart - Johnnie Morisette
...served by Gyro1966...

21 comments:

RYP said...

SAM COOKE "The Songwriter"
...served by Gyro1966...
gitit! no pw
CD1
http://www90.zippyshare.com/v/uTtQOixy/file.html
CD2
http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/PUExYVZN/file.html

kevinpat said...

Ahhhhh….. Sundays are for Sam. Thanks!!!

ronh1 said...


When The Centurions released their album on Del-Fi records in 1964, its cover was identical as well as catalog number to another artist's Bruce Johnston release named Surfers Pajama Party which was not the name The Centurions had in mind. Their name was changed from The Centurions to The Centurians sometime after 1967 due to legal reasons. This is a fantastic killer sounding surf album with a lot of reverb and sax. One of my favorites:

The Centurions, Bullwinkle II
http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/TZQjjVa4/file.html

What comes to the head of someone, if you tell him about good old surf music? California beaches and Dick Dale. The Bahareebas are neither old nor Americans. They`re a Swiss quintet was formed back in 2002. It all began as a trio, later in fall 2003, a second guitarist joined and finally in may 2004 a nice young lady and her organ made the combo complete. Two guitars, bass, drums and organ: That`s the magic combination which makes The Bahareebas almost unbeatable. They have a great surf sound.

The Bahareebas Last Night I Saved The Galaxy
http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/QsJg8EaG/file.html

The Fleetwoods were one of America's most popular doo-wop groups in the late '50s. The original members of the group, Gary Troxel, Gretchen Christopher, and Barbara Ellis, met when they were seniors at Olympia High School in Olympia, Washington. Originally a female duo, they initially recruited Gary to play trumpet. The girls had composed a song while independently, Gary had written a hook that went “n-do-be-do dum dum-dum do dum.” They put them together and Come Softly To Me was born.

The Fleetwoods Come Softly To Me
http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/HSZOVfex/file.html

** Wanted (very badly) ** Now I have this: http://www.allmusic.com/album/bullwinkle-pt-2-mw0000179845 And if you read the description in the link the tracks are different due to some mix up from what has been posted as Surfers Pajama Party. Now if you look at this link for Surfers Pajama Party: http://www.allmusic.com/album/surfers-pajama-party-mw0000626362 the tracks are different and this is the one I'm looking to get.

Thanks for any help.

ronh1 said...


4 CD set called Early Doo Wop features the Mills Brothers, The Larks, The Five Keys, The Harptones, The Crickets and more. The influences are obvious - New Orleans Jazz, Fats Waller, Cab Calloway, Ellington and the whole jazz/R&B scene. You can hear all kinds of licks in these songs that became better known with the popularity of Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and many others.

Rhythm And Blues Early Doo Wop Disc 1
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/aKhMSZtC/file.html
Rhythm And Blues Early Doo Wop Disc 2
http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/48tT8UH6/file.html
Rhythm And Blues Early Doo Wop Disc 3
http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/C634gF6Z/file.html
Rhythm And Blues Early Doo Wop Disc 4
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/jRqMPLyB/file.html

When Johnny reached the age of twelve, he began to play accompaniment to Santo on a standard electric guitar. The brothers soon formed a duo and became rather popular in school, eventually performing at events in the New York boroughs. They recorded a demonstration which they circulated to local New York record companies. During 1958, Mike Dee and the Mello Tones (Santo Farina, steel guitar; Johnny Farina, guitar and their uncle Mike Dee, drums) recorded a self-composed instrumental melody which they named "Deep Sleep". Loosely inspired by the song "Softly, As In The Morning Sunrise, it had the same chord progression but a simpler melody line. Deep Sleep became Sleep Walk and during September 1959 it scored at the top of the American charts.

Santo And Johnny (First Album)
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/mujAed8X/file.html
The Brilliant Guitar Sounds Of Santo And Johnny
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/18PXtx36/file.html
Santo And Johnny Dolci Sogni
http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/yorEEFrC/file.html
Santo And Johnny In The Still Of The Night
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/C0M0RKEH/file.html
Santo And Johnny Hawaii
http://www86.zippyshare.com/v/hsxKzT8q/file.html

Amazon: Better Days is a hot comeback for Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. Little Steven is back on board, with a whole bunch of great songs. "Coming Back", "All I Needed Was You", "It's Been a Long Time", and the title track are the best-known songs, but there are numerous other gems on this. One of Southside Johnny's best ever, the whole album has a reflective tone looking back to a glorious past and forward to the road that lies ahead.

Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes - Better Days
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/L4cuYf0j/file.html

Southside Johnny With La Bamba's Big Band:
Grapefruit Moon - The Songs Of Tom Waits
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/n0xcYLs9/file.html


luis said...

good stuff. thanks a lot

clash said...

Thank you for the Sam Cooke songwriter!

clash said...

Here are my first shares on Twilightzone, which I uploaded to Mediafire and I think some of you might've had some trouble downloading. Also, I was less experienced then, so I uploaded them to zippyshre and I hope you enjoy them.

Gumbo Ya Ya: The Cosimo Mattasa Story Volume 2

Disc one
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/Yc7iiIFZ/file.html

Disc two
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/rfo29FNn/file.html

Disc three
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/rdAYDqCe/file.html

Disc four
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/suzvijvu/file.html

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Gumbo-Ya-Ya-The-Cosimo-Matassa-Story-Volume-2/release/4184285

clash said...

Okey Rhythm & Blues (2LP) Vinyl (1982)

Side 1&2
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/UF5qAC20/file.html
Side 3&4
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/6aDymLQH/file.html

A1 –Smiley Lewis I'm Coming Home With The Blues
A2 –Smiley Lewis Tore Up
A3 –Chuck Willis & His Orchestra Lawdy Miss Mary
A4 –Big Maybelle Whole Lot-ta Shakin' Goin' On
A5 –Big Maybelle Stay Away From My Sam (Unreleased)
A6 –Big Maybelle New Kind Of Mambo
A7 –Screamin' Jay Hawkins I Put A Spell On You
B1 –Titus Turner Big Mary's
B2 –Titus Turner Christmas Morning
B3 –Titus Turner Don't Take Everybody To Be Your Friend
B4 –Larry Darnell What More Do You Want Me To Do
B5 –Ravens, The Gotta Find My Baby
B6 –Ravens, The Midnight Blues
B7 –Ravens, The My Baby's Gone
C1 –Johnnie Ray Cry
C2 –Sandmen, The Somebody To Love
C3 –Marquees, The Hey Little Schoolgirl
C4 –Billy Stewart Baby, You're My Only Love
C5 –Schoolboys, The Please Say You Want Me
C6 –Schoolboys, The Ding-A-Ling Coo Coo Mop
C7 –Sheppards, The Pretend You're Still Mine
D1 –Treniers, The Say Hey (The Willie Mays Song)
D2 –Paul Gayten & His Orchestra Don't Worry Me
D3 –Paul Gayten & His Orchestra It Ain't Nothin' Happening
D4 –Little Joe & The Thrillers Peanuts
D5 –Doc Bagby Dumplin's
D6 –Red Saunders & His Orchestra Hambone
D7 –Little Richard Get Down With It

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Okeh-Rhythm-Blues/release/1918339

Anonymous said...


Can you upload the album bo diddley in the spotlight please? Greetings Andrés

Senseless said...

....Gentlemen..THANKS for the fabulous display...

lemonflag said...

Thanks Gyro Ryp ronh1 and clash. Some nice old gold today.

@clash I dl'd the Cosimo V2 when you shared it before. Do you or anyone else have Vol 1? I would love to hear that.

clash said...

Lemonflag- I'm pretty sure gyro shared volume 1 on twilightzone, which is what made me go and buy volume 2. Let me know if you find it. Otherwise, I'll pull it off my hard drive and share it.

JohnnyDiego said...

Geemany Christmas, ronh1. Where do I start?

Gyro1966 said...

I think Jillem shared the Vol 1 Box Set. I buy all the JSP collections, they are worth owning and are very affordable. Greetings from the air - I am now flying home with wifi!

ronh1 said...


@JohnnyD, Coming from you that meant a hell of alot to me, and Thanks to everyone else for the staggering amount of music that's offered here. @ LoFi Larry Please keep an eye out for that Surfers Pajama Party (the proper one) for me I know it's going to come from you. Ronh1 Thank You Very Much.

Jillem said...

The Cosimo Mattasa Story Volume 1

@320kb
Disc 1
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/47926979/file.html
Disc 2
http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/25821245/file.html
Disc 3
http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/51944705/file.html
Disc 4
http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/24285176/file.html

Anonymous said...

Tanx again!

bostig said...

Thanks Jillem and Clash and of course Gyro

lemonflag said...

clash, Gyro thanks for responding.

Jillem thanks for the share. If I had this before I think it is on my dead hard-drive sitting on a shelf above my head waiting for the resurrection. I had 400,000 songs on it and the store told me I could spend $500 trying to get the data but it might not work anyway. So it sits up there reminding me that all things are temporary.

Gyro1966 said...

Lemonflag - I fear one day all the hard drives will die. I have too much music to try and back it all up. Oh well, it's not like I will ever be lacking good music - hopefully it never happens to me on a large scale.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ronh1 for the fleetwoods, but where are the covers???????????????