The 36 historic tracks that make up this compilation were all recorded in a highly-prolific two-year burst of creativity, between January 1956 and January 1958, by which time both Buddy Holly and The Crickets were established as major chart names. The Chirping Crickets LP included The Crickets million-selling singles That ll Be The Day and Oh Boy, whilst Holly s eponymously-titled album included his equally successful solo hits, Peggy Sue and Rave On. This compilation also features the eleven tracks which Buddy recorded for US Decca in 1956, including his original, slower version of the stellar That’ll Be The Day, under which title they were first released in 1958. The booklet features full session details, including personnel, recording dates, etc.
trax:
01 Oh, Boy! 02 Not Fade Away 03 You've Got Love 04 Maybe Baby 05 It's Too Late 06 Tell Me How 07 That'll Be The Day 08 I'm Lookin' for Someone to Love 09 An Empty Cup (And A Broken Date) 10 Send Me Some Lovin' 11 Last Night 12 Rock Me My Baby 13 I'm Gonna Love You Too 14 Peggy Sue 15 Look At Me 16 Listen To Me 17 Valley Of Tears 18 Ready Teddy 19 Everyday 20 Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues 21 Words Of Love 22 You're so Square 23 Rave On 24 Little Baby 25 You Are My One Desire 26 Blue Days, Black Nights 27 Modern Don Juan 28 Rock Around With Ollie Vee 29 Ting-A-Ling 30 Girl on My Mind 31 That'll Be the Day 32 Love Me 33 I'm Changin' All Those Changes 34 Don't Come Back Knockin' 35 Midnight Shift 36 Rock Around with Ollie Vee (Single Version)
...served by Gyro1966...

23 comments:
Buddy Holly & The Crickets - The First Three Albums
...served by Gyro1966...
gitit! no pw
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/oSeqPCVc/file.html
LONNIE MACK - MEMPHIS WHAM!
Ace Records 1999 @320
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/zYiszWbM/file.html
At first glance, this might seem like nothing more than a retread of the classic The Wham of
That Memphis Man, as the disc includes all 14 songs from that album. This is a quality
upgrade/supplement to that record, though, adding 11 more tracks of 1963-1967 vintage from
both rare singles and previously unreleased outtakes. This is hardly filler that only
collectors will care about; it's good stuff, sometimes ace stuff. "Oh, I Apologize," a
cover of an obscure Barrett Strong track, is white soul singing on par with Mack's best
vocal efforts, while "Cry, Cry, Cry" is a great instrumental version of a Bobby "Blue" Bland
number; both of these cuts, unbelievably, were not released prior to this CD. The singles
"Say Something Nice to Me" and "Save Your Money" (from 1964 and 1967) are more filet of
white soul, and "Tension Pts. 1 & 2" (a 1966 single) another cool roadhouse instrumental.
1. Memphis
2. Where There's A Will There's A Way
3. Wham!
4. I'll Keep You Happy
5. The Bounce
6. Baby What's Wrong
7. Down And Out
8. Satisfied
9. Susie Q
10. Why
11. Down In The Dumps
12. Rockin' Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu
13. Gee Baby
14. Chicken Pickin'
15. Oh, I Apologize
16. Say Something Nice To Me
17. From Me To You
18. Turn On Your Love Light
19. The Freeze
20. Farther On Up The Road
21. Cry, Cry, Cry
22. Save Your Money
23. Tension (Part 1)
24. Tension (Part 2)
============================================================================================
LONNIE MACK - GLAD I'M IN THE BAND
Elektra Records 1969 (Vinyl) @320
http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/NXOTzg0N/file.html
With the exception of his comeback album for Alligator, Strike like Lightning, nothing Mack
has done since leaving Fraternity Records has come close to the wham-fisted brilliance of
those seminal sides. This LP isn't bad at all, though -- besides passable remakes of
"Memphis" and "Why," Mack attacks Frankie Ford's "Roberta," Ted Taylor's "Stay Away from My
Baby," and Little Willie John's "Let Them Talk" with a slightly rockier edge than his
previous stuff. R&B vet Maxwell Davis did the horn charts. -- Bill Dahl (Allmusic)
1 Why
2 Save Your Money
3 Old House
4 Too Much Trouble
5 In the Band
6 Let Them Talk
7 Memphis
8 Sweat and Tears
9 Roberta
10 Stay Away from My Baby
11 She Don't Come Here Anymore
Lonnie Mack - guitar, vocals
David Byrd - bass, keyboards, voices
Tim Drummond - bass
Mac Elsensohn - drums
Sebastian Dangerfield - voices
Billy Salyer - drums
I knew of Lonnie Mack but I never had really paid any attention to him. He had a couple of
records out when I was a kid but there was no singing on them and back then I wasn't
interested in anything but songs with singers. So when my roommate came in with "Glad I'm
In The Band" one day in 1972 I wasn't real keen on listening. But he said, "Johnny, you
HAVE to listen to this record!" And when he put it on I was immediately blown away! Lonnie
Mack has soul. The record became a staple for me forever. And when I saw that all of his
Fraternity records were re-released on CD, I had to bite. It took a measure of maturity for
me to appreciate Mack's musicianship and artistry, but the man's a genius with that guitar.
-- JohnnyDiego
BONUS 1 OF 6
King Vocal Groups Vol. 1: Ooh Bop Sha Boo @320
Ooh bop sha boo" sing the Guytones as they lead off KING VOCAL GROUPS VOL. 1. A somewhat silly title maybe, but this is a no-nonsense survey of doo wop from the archives of the King, Federal and Deluxe labels. Syd Nathan's record company included A&R men and recording operations in New York City and on the West Coast in addition to the home city headquarters in Cincinnati, Ohio. This enabled him to sign acts from all over the U.S. and provide a rich variation of vocal group sounds and harmonies. The Platters are perhaps the best known and they certainly warrant a CD in their own right (The Platters - Complete Federal Recordings Ace CDCHD 974) but there are many, many more to be included in our dip into the King doo wop vaults. Volume 1 of Ace's survey of King's vocal groups include a mix of well known groups like the Five Keys (originally from Newport News, VA), the Swallows from Baltimore, MD, and Otis Williams & Charms together with lesser known but sought-after groups."
1. Ooh Bop Sha Boo - the Guytones
2. Come Go with Me - the Federals Delkuxe
3. Deep in My Heart for You - the Pyramids
4. Standing Alone - Temptations
5. So Can I - Otis Williams & The Charms
6. I Need Your Tenderness - Chanters
7. My Angel - Californians
8. Lonely Rain - Mascots
9. God Only Knows - Crystals
10. You Broke the Only Heart - Five Keys
11. I M Yours Anyhow - Tenderfoots
12. Dear Mother - Hurricanes
13. Let Some Love in Your Heart - Otis Williams & The Charms
14. Who Knows Do You - Swallows
15. Tell Me (How Was I to Know) - Guytones
16. My My Darling - Chnters
17. Story of My Heart - Mascots
18. Roachs Rock - Temptations
19. Ask Me - Kenny Martin
20. Tell Me You're Mine - Five Jets
21. My Babys Gone - Velvet Keys
22. Those Gollden Bells - Tenderfoots
23. Blue Flowers - Strangers
24. Eternally - Swallows
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/Ycqh9itk/file.html
INFO
http://acerecords.co.uk/ooh-bop-sha-boo-king-vocal-groups-vol-1
BONUS 2 OF 6
King Vocal Groups Vol. 2: Voo Vee Ah Bee @320
Voo Vee Ah Bee: King Vocal Groups, Vol. 2 is an excellent Ace compilation containing 24 remastered tracks from the vaults of King and its Deluxe subsidiary label. These gems from the '50s and early '60s include great tracks by such favorites as the Five Keys, the Platters, and the Royals along with more obscure material by the Five Wings, Joe Perkins & the Rookies, and the Facinators. This set is highly recommended to fans of vocal R&B of the era. (Allmusic)
In the same manner as the novelty title Ooh Bop Sha Boo kicked off the first King Vocal Groups collection, Voo-Vee Ah Bee by the Platters is the opening track on the second volume of group sounds from Syd Nathan's King Federal and Deluxe labels (KING VOCAL GROUPS - VOL 2). Recorded in late 1954, the biography on the label of dee jay copies, (a feature specific to Nathan's family of labels), claims that "The Platters are fast gaining the showmanship that will shoot them to the top shortly". For once, a promotional claim that turned out to be the truth!
In a mixture that has been well received by Ace customers in the past, this compilation blends better-known groups like the Platters, Hurricanes, Royals and the Five Keys with less well-known but nevertheless worthy acts such as the Interludes, Companions, Johnny Darling (with an un-named group), Joe Perkins & The Rookies, the Fascinators and the Five Wings, each of whom are represented by two tracks. In all there are 24 tracks by 17 different artist spanning the time-frame from 1952 though to 1963. (Ace)
1. Voo Vee Ah Bee - the Platters
2. Wilted Rose Bud - Interludes
3. I Didn't Know (You Got Married) - Companions
4. Baseball Baby - Johnny Darling
5. A New Feeling - Joe Perkins & The Rookies
6. Priceless - the Hurricanes
7. Cuddle Up with Carolyn - the Fascinators
8. Teardrops Are Falling - Five Wings
9. It Doesn't Matter - the Targets
10. Your Heart's Bigger Than Mine - Guytones
11. Twenty-Four Hours a Day - Cathy Ryan & The Four Fellows
12. Moonrise - the Royals
13. I Took Your Love for a Toy - the Five Keys
14. White Cliffs of Dover - the Checkers
15. Just for Your Love (I Would Do Anything) - the Mystics
16. Time Alone Will Tell - Joe Perkins & The Rookies
17. Tee Vee - the Fascinators
18. I Don't Want to Wind Up in Love - Johnny Darling
19. Why Oh Why Baby - Companions
20. Sentimental Heart - Sheiks
21. I'll Always Be in Love with You - the Hurricanes
22. Darling I'll Be True - Interludes
23. Give Me Your Love - the Admirals
24. Johnny's Still Singing - Five Wings
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/4ebng5gJ/file.html
INFO
http://acerecords.co.uk/voo-vee-ah-bee-king-vocal-groups-vol-2
http://www.amazon.com/King-Vocal-Groups-Vol-Voo/dp/B0001VOO7S
BONUS 3 OF 6
THE RAMSEY LEWIS TRIO - The Groover '65 @320
The Groover is a live album by the Ramsey Lewis Trio which
was recorded at the Lighthouse in 1965 at the same
performances that produced the album Hang On Ramsey!
but not released on the Cadet label until 1972.
Bass – Eldee Young
Drums – Red Holt
Piano – Ramsey Lewis
Engineer – Reice Hamel
Producer – Esmond Edwards
Recorded October 14-17, 1965
Lighthouse Café, Hermosa Beach, California
Engineer – Reice Hamel
Remixed at A&R Recording Studios, New York City, N.Y.
Engineer – Dixon Van Winkle
A1 Summertime 9:20
A2 Crazy He Calls Me 3:22
A3 Why Don't You Do Right 2:52
A4 There Is No Greater Love 3:45
B1 Look-A-Here 7:56
B2 Imagination 3:40
B3 Bag's Groove 5:05
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/dv1zAtOW/file.html
INFO
http://www.discogs.com/Ramsey-Lewis-The-Groover/release/6374332
Gyro,thank you for sharing,Buddy Holly The First Three Albums...Gold!
Thanks so much to G and JohnnyD for the fine Buddy and Lonnie collections. I'm sure I have them all around here somewhere, but that doesn't mean I can resist them one more time. All good wishes,
Iggy
Thanks for the King doo-wop, Gyro. Doo-wop is always appreciated.
Chi-Town
Thanks to Johnny for Lonnie Mack.
Thanks for saying thanks, Anonymous. How about you taking a name so we know who you are from now on? There's lots of people named Anonymous be only one you.
thanks for all the great music shared in this post. Thanks Gyro and johnny Diego
@Gyro1966
Thanks for the King Vocal Groups volumes 1 & 2 @320. A welcome upgrade to the ones I have @128. Do you have volumes 3 & 4??? My copy of volume 3 is only @96 and volume 4 is @128.
Thanks
I remember in 1962, when I heard the first string bending in my life, and it was (of course), Lonnie Mack's amazing "Memphis."
Thanks
Thanks Folks.
Lonnie Mack, thx Johnny, had them but in 128kpbs, nice update.
Gyro, thanks for the Ramsey Lewis!
Thanks a ton for the King doo-wop! If anyone's interested but on the fence about it, I might recommend the track that knocked me out the most from the collection (even though it's on Vol. 3): "Stars in the Sky" by the Mystics. It's very similar to the song of the same title recorded by the Channels and the Chanters, but I dare say that it's my favorite version of the song (and I LOVE the Channels and their version)! Check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfGBdclSCEw
@Psyclist
Please ignore my post requesting King Vocal Groups volumes 3 & 4. I did find them in another of your posts.
Thanks again for your hard work.
Alright alright alright!
-Xtm
Please can you re upload.....Buddy Holly & The Crickets - The First Three Albums. Thank you very much.
Trevor,
unfortunately I can't find it in my archives! But for comfort I have another one if you are interested: The Buddy I Knew - Vol 1 - 7
https://www.bear-family.de/holly-buddy-the-buddy-i-knew-7-cd.html
The Buddy I Knew - Vol 1 - 7 looks good,please upload when you have time,many thanks in advance.
Post a Comment