Thursday, 6 October 2022

Rahsaan Roland Kirk & Al Hibbler "A Meeting Of Times" 1972

I've bought several Kirk albums recently many of which were new to me. I've admired his work since the 1960s. He really was an original (even if one left the simultaneous playing of the various instruments out of the assessment the variety and the orignality of his work is astonishing and very good to listen to).
I purchased this recording because I'd remembered it with affection. I'd not thought of it as a special album of Kirk's. But listening to it I think it shows an aspect of his achievement that is important. There is a joyousness here (as there often is with Kirk). Hibler's strange enunciations and unexpected dynamic placements make this a great vocal performance, a compelling performance. Kirk playing three horns for Duke's men is wonderful: Carney, Bigard, Hodges, Gonsalves, Webster are all powerfully there...

...The piano bass drums are exemplary. I don't know of another record where he is supported quite like this. They play with the kind of authority that reminds me of the feel of Peterson supporting Webster and Hawkins. From this very tidy and highly energetic platform Roland generates passionate solos which are beautifully constructed. As a performer here he is in very orthodox jazz territory. And like every thing else he did he is a great master in this context. His recasting of Bigard and Carney overwhelms me. (I bet he knew that Carney was a great clarinetist) When he plays a la Bigard it is not just mimicry. He does what Eliot did in partially quoting from other poets. He makes it his own.
My original copy of the LP disappeared when the girls left for University thirty years ago along with some Hendrix and some Led Zepplin. I'm so glad that in Kirk they showed such discernment.
To get the breadth of his achievement the CDs I alluded to earlier are Rip, Rig and Panic; Volunteered Slavery; Domino; Blacknuss; Return of the 5000lb Man; Prepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle; The Case of the Three Sided Dream in Audio Colour; Compliments of the Mysterious Phantom; and all his recordings with Charles Mingus. Amazon will supply the lot.
Desperately tried to get in desparate disporate and desperete but have sadly failed.... must defffanateli try harder next time. - A Meeting Of The Times (International Release) - WT Mitchell

Personnel:
Bass – Major Hollie*, Ron Carter / Drums – Charles Crosby, Oliver Jackson / Piano – Hank Jones, Lonnie Liston Smith / Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet – "Rahsaan" Roland Kirk / Vocals – Al Hibbler, Leon Thomas

trax:
1 Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me 2 Daybreak 3 Lover Come Back To Me 4 Don't Get Around Much Anymore 5 This Love Of Mine 6 Carney And Begard Place 7 I Didn't Know About You 8 Something 'Bout Believing 9 Dream
Ripped from Vinyl by RYP with Audacity 3.2 - Thorens TD 318/Audio-Technica 95E / Yamaha A-S301

9 comments:

RYP said...

NEW LINK:

Rahsaan Roland Kirk & Al Hibbler "A Meeting Of Times"
gitit! no pw
https://mega.nz/file/QLIWiQrQ#H72oz3zW7D-u6pXIJK90dLca8VpZslgM8h2TUKGIT3w

Bob Mac said...

Thank you.

Susan Donimus said...

Thank you. But this seems to be Gifts & Messages (1964) rather than A Meeting Of The Times.

RYP said...

This link leads me to "A Meeting Of Times"! I just tried it!

Susan Donimus said...

You're right. It must be time to go back to bed.

Sorry to bother you, thanks again, and good night.

Andreas said...

Thanks a lot!!

Anonymous said...

Another gem! Thank you RYP
Huey

apauling said...

Thank you for the ongoing Roland Kirk shares, RYP.

Jonathan F. King said...

This LP was hugely influential on me as a 22 year old just snooping around the edges of mainstream jazz. Loved the vocal idiosynracies (came to learn in later years just who Al Hibbler was!), and Kirk's saxophone was unfettered joy. Played the grooves off it, as it gave me a sense of what can happen on a jazz record, which I was unaware of due to having had my head between the speakers listening to "Woodstock."