Tuesday, 22 September 2015

"Nashville Bluegrass"

Stompertime goes bluegrass on this 35 track compilation containing the recordings Murray Nash made on his Do-Ra-Me and In His Service (IHS) labels. The groups featured here are not particularly well known, but you cannot fail to pick up on the sheer excitement and enthusiasm of the singers and musicians. The Dixieland Drifters feature a young Norman Blake on dobro and guitar. Also includes music from the Cumberland Mt. Boys, Webster Brothers, and the Bluegrass Lookouts.trax:
1. I'm Going Down And Have Myself A Ball - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 2. Thank God For The U.S.A. - The Webster Brothers 3. Hittin' On Five - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 4. Glory Be, Hallelujah, Amen - The Bluegrass Lookouts 5. What Can I Do without You - Johnny Varnell & JIM Pipkins 6. Cumberland Breakdown - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 7. I'm Gonna Steal Away - The Webster Brothers 8. Glory Glory - The Dixieland Drifters 9. We'll Be Singing Together - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 10. D-String Stomp - The Bluegrass Lookouts 11. Cold Fire Burns In My Heart - The Webster Brothers 12. Facts And Figures - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 13. Will You Meet Me - The Dixieland Drifters 14. Whirlpool - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 15. You Don't Care Enough For Me - The Webster Brothers 16. Great White Angel - The Bluegrass Lookouts 17. You'll Be The One To Cry - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 18. Little Rita - The Webster Brothers 19. Smoky Mountain Cindy - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 20. Don't Forsake Your Little Children - The Bluegrass Lookouts 21. My Heart Won't Let Me Forget You - The Webster Brothers 22. Stop Beatin' Around The Bush - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 23. Hollow Rock - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 24. If The Answer Is Jesus - The Bluegrass Lookouts 25. I'll Make It Through - The Webster Brothers 26. Your Love Is Off Limits - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 27. I Shall Hear Up In Heaven - The Bluegrass Lookouts 28. All I Have Left - The Webster Brothers 29. Pepper Patch - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 30. Slow And Noiseless Footsteps - The Bluegrass Lookouts 31. Til Death Do Us Part - The Webster Brothers 32. Fingerprints On My Heart - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 33. All I Have Left Is Your  - The Cumberland Mt. Boys 34. She's Not Mine Anymore - The Webster Brothers 35. Powder River - The Cumberland Mt. Boys
…served by Gyro1966...

10 comments:

RYP said...

"Nashville Bluegrass"
…served by Gyro1966...
gitit! no pw
http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/7iLmGUz1/file.html

JohnnyDiego said...

Oh boy! Thanks, Gyro. Looks like I'm going to love this day. Great shares so far today.

Gyro1966 said...

BONUS 3 OF 4

Atlas Jazz Explosion

Finally someone has the smarts to release the fine output from the late fifties vintage vaults of Atlas out of New York along with some like minded stuff from the Vita and Mambo labels from LA. Incredible rockin' jazz from the horn of LA session man extroardinaire Jackie Kelso from the Mambo / Vita sessions(he and Plas Johnson were the go-to men of the day) and some positively burnin' sides from Charlie Singleton from the Atlas label layin' down some heavy stuff that straddle's the border of jazz and jump blues - add to that mixture some uniformly splendid sides from Harold Austin plus June Davis and Freddy Washington's band and you've got a surefire winner here. This some explosive stuff. (Congo Slim, Amazon)

An interesting selection of jazz-leaning jump blues tracks recorded in the early '50s for Larry Mead's L.A.-based Mambo and Vita labels and Tom Robinson's New York-based Atlas Records, Atlas Jazz Explosion consists mostly of tenor sax-led instrumentals that edge toward a hard R&B sound without actually getting there, and hint at jazz without really getting there, either, with the opener, Jackie Kelso's version of "Blue Moon," being fairly representative. There are also a couple of vocal tracks from June Davis, "I Am One of God's Children" and "8-9-10," and a strange organ-and-congas duet called "Congo Buggie" from Freddy Washington that sounds like it could almost be from the surf instrumental craze of a decade later. These are all obscure and rare tracks, and collectors of later-era jump blues will no doubt be delighted at this set, but casual listeners may well be more bewildered than anything else, since these sides seem to occupy a strange zone that is not quite jazz and not quite R&B, retaining some elements of both. (Steve Leggett, Allmusic)

trax:
Jackie Kelso:
1. Blue Moon 2. Smiles 3. Not Yet 4. Easy Pickin' (Part I) 5. Encore 6. My Buddy 7. Once More 8. Piccadilly 9. The Sleeper 10. Rat-A-Tat 11. Easy Pickin' (Part II)
Harold Austin:
12. Jesse's Ideas (Part I) 13. Jesse's Ideas (Part II) 14. I Am One Of God's Children (Without Wings)
June Davis w/Freddy Washington's Band:
15. 8, 9, 10 16. Congo Buggie
Charlie Singleton:
17. Super Chief 18. The Boardwalk 19. Blow Mr. Singleton 20. Deep Purple 21. Oozing Along 22. Gone With The Wind 23. Pony Express 24. Broadway Beat 25. Jiving With Doctor Jive

http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/S8uKYczy/file.html

INFO
http://twilightzone-rideyourpony.blogspot.com/2011/12/atlas-jazz-explosion.html

Gyro1966 said...

BONUS 4 OF 4

Atlas Jump Blues Anthology

01. Louisiana Red - I Done Woke Up
02. Mojo Watson - You Know You Don't Want Me
03. H-Bomb Ferguson - On My Way
04. James Wayne - This Little Letter
05. Charlie Walker - Down Hearted Blues
06. H-Bomb Ferguson - Good Time Gal
07. Jimmy 'Chickie' Horne - Hello Little Girl
08. Hattie Green - Over Twenty One
09. Piney Brown - You Made Me This Way
10. Mae Mercer - Sweet Little Angel
11. Johnny Perry - I Left My Baby
12. H-Bomb Ferguson - Rock H-Bomb Rock
13. Hattie Green - Green Light Baby
14. Charlie Walker - Nervous Wreck
15. Emmet Davis - Woke Up This Morning
16. Johnny Perry - Lonely Heart Blues
17. Mojo Watson - All Alone
18. Mae Mercer - Great Googa Mooga
19. Charlie Walker - Wrong Kind Of Woman
20. Louisiana Red - I Had A Feeling
21. Hattie Green - Pawn Shop Blues
22. James Wayne - The Trust
23. Emmet Davis - You Know You Didn't Want Me
24. Charlie Walker - Louise
25. H-Bomb Ferguson - I Love My Baby

http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/aYgrEKLk/file.html

INFO
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Blues-Anthology-Various-Artists/dp/B001PR00SY

If anyone has this @320, please share.

Jillem said...

Atlas Jump Blues Anthology (320kb)

http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/GWf1YqTp/file.html

iggy said...

Thanks so much for the Nashville Grass, G-man. I love all the "little guys" in country and bluegrass who made wonderful heart-felt music and almost never even made it out of their home towns. I consider this set a tribute to all of them. Thanks again.

Iggy

Fourcade said...

Thanks Gyro, thanks Jillem for the Atlas. I'm gonna buy myself an electronic
rubber stamp, saying "THANK YOU", ´cause I'm on overload thanking all so much.
It's a pity there's nothing I can share, being a newbie and middle-of-the-road
listener (sigh).
I specially liked the soul and funk and gospel sagas, never dipped in
properly into that music, and was longing to do so. Also the great blues
albums. Also the occasional Jansch or the like. Also British mod. Also...
At least let all of the posters (specially "the trio", how much I appreciate
their efforts, and the beautiful music they offer.
Cheers Daniel, from Spain...

Gyro1966 said...

Thanks Jillem for delivering the Atlas R&B @ 320. Always appreciated, buddy.

Anonymous said...

Tanx for the Atlas Jump Blues Anthology. I don't know what your bit rate was, but with music recorded that long ago could anyone tell the difference between 128 and 320? It's probably all mono!

Doug said...

Thanks Gyro for the Nashville bluegrass comp - those stomper time compilations are pure class