Tuesday, 1 September 2015

H.P. LOVECRAFT "Live May 11, 1968"

Live May 11, 1968 is a live album by the American psychedelic rock band H. P. Lovecraft and was released in 1991. The eight tracks included on the album were all recorded at The Fillmore West in San Francisco, California on May 11, 1968, soon after the band's original bass player Jerry McGeorge had been replaced by Jeffrey Boyan. The album consists of material taken from the band's first two studio albums and is blessed with very good sound quality considering the era in which it was recorded. - wikiBlessed with one of the best live recording qualities one can hear from '60s efforts -- especially considering that H.P. Lovecraft was never a major success -- Live May 11, 1968 provides a reasonable alternate way for the curious to find out what the shouting was all about. Split almost evenly between first and second album material, and featuring then-new bassist Jeff Boyan (brought in to replace Jerry McGeorge), this release shows that the quintet certainly had something. If there are plenty of moments where the addictive blend of garage jamming and mindblown psychedelia seems on the verge of collapsing into noodling or bad Doors imitations, there's enough of H.P. Lovecraft's own particular approach to justify a listen by anyone into exploratory late-'60s rock. Certainly once or twice the band ends up sounding remarkably prescient -- the opening of "Wayfaring Stranger" calls to mind the blend of propulsion and trance Can would shortly make its own in Germany, with Tegza's tight beats leading the way. Plenty of other examples can be noted, with the transferred tape itself further suggesting the European group's approach -- check the midsection of "The Drifter," where only Michaels' keyboards steer away from the driving rhythm. Edwards and Michaels' lead vocals work great together live -- their training and earlier studio experience showing well -- and the whole band tackles the spirit of the times to a T. Two standout performances are the one-two punch of "The White Ship" and "At the Mountain of Madness," both of which also make for the perfect tribute to the original Lovecraft himself. Occasional introductory comments surface from Edwards, but otherwise the five just get it all together and take off -- and do so quite well. - AllMusic Review by Ned Raggetttrax:
01 Wayfaring Stranger 02 The Drifter 03 It's About Time 04 The White Ship 05 At the Mountains of Madness 06 The That's the Bag I'm In 07 I've Been Wrong Before 08 Country Boy and Bleeker Street

33 comments:

RYP said...

H.P. LOVECRAFT "Live May 11, 1968"
gitit! pw: rideyourpony
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/Jni5wlA4/file.html

JohnnyDiego said...

WIRE - Pink Flag (1977)

http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/yppbjJrR/file.html

MAGAZINE - Real Life (1978)

http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/KLKNkk4j/file.html

THE FALL - Dragnet (1979)

http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/nA55BRl8/file.html

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN - Crocodiles (1980)

http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/gfPfLIMI/file.html


1979 was a momentous year for me. I was about to turn 32, I was starting my last year of college, I had a two year old daughter, my wife (without consulting me) was planning on another child (a boy born in 1980), and the band I had played in since 1976 had just broken up. Breaking up the band was okay with me. The music scene in Boston had changed markedly. The music we were playing (we called it Country Chic) was becoming passe, and the two or three nights a week playing in the bars was taking its toll on me. In 1978 we had played a club date on the same bill as Robin Lane & the Chartbusters and after that night I knew the writing was on the wall.
My tastes in music were changing too, with my discovery of college radio and the music those kids were playing. The college disc jockeys called it New Wave and so did the music critics. I had stopped listening to popular music years before and the new wave sounded fresh and rebellious to my ears. No screaming guitar solos played at the top of the fret board. No faceless tenor lead singers. No melodic perfectly pitched arrangements. Discordant structures were dominate. Affected vocals slightly off-pitch, gruffly in a talk/sing style. I was hooked and tried to incorporate that music into a solo act but failed miserably. By all respects my musical career was over but the rock'n roller in me was reborn.
These are four of the albums that I bought during those times. It's hard to imagine but maybe Echo And The Bunnymen are the most melodic, but they still had that edge and urgency that was not evident in popular music then. The Fall has a churning, rhythmic sound while Wire is the more punk of the lot. Magazine had the most potential, in my opinion, but they disbanded after four studio albums. The other three were still turning out music as the 1990s turned into the 2000s. Oh, and they are all English. New Wave Forever! -- JohnnyDiego

Searnav said...

The Beach Boys – Live At Knebworth (1980)

Demon / Music Club MCCD 598 (U.K. 2006)

Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Al Jardine, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston

With Ed Carter, Joe Chemay, Booby Figueroa and Mike Meros

1. Intro (0:49)
2. California Girls (3:11)
3. Sloop John B (3:03)
4. Darlin' (2:37)
5. School Days (3:45)
6. God Only Knows (2:51)
7. Be True To Your School (2:27)
8. Do It Again (3:08)
9. Little Deuce Coupe (2:13)
10. Cotton Fields / Heroes and Villains (5:34)
11. Happy Birthday Brian (1:08)
12. Keepin' The Summer Alive (3:41)
13. Lady Lynda (5:00)
14. Surfer Girl (2:33)
15. Help Me Rhonda (4:11)
16. Rock And Roll Music (2:19)
17. I Get Around (2:13)
18. Surfin' USA (2:54)
19. You Are So Beautiful (3:13)
20. Good Vibrations (6:03)
21. Barbara Ann (2:46)
22. Fun, Fun, Fun (4:45)

Artwork Included (front, back, inner, CD)

http://www87.zippyshare.com/v/XjLOR9U8/file.html

Searnav said...

The Desert Rose Band - Bluegrass Festival 1986.

Chris Hillman, Herb Pedersen, John Jorgenson, Bill Bryson, Steve Duncan, Jay Dee Maness

Not available in stores

1. Intro (0:50)
2. Why You Been Gone So Long (3:50)
3. Love Reunited (3:12)
4. Midnight Heart (3:39)
5. Ashes Of Love (3:39)
6. I Thought I Heard You Callin' My Name (3:56)
7. You Can Close Your Eyes (2:51)
8. Congratulations Anyway (2:43)
9. Band Introductions (1:26)
10. Runnin' The Road Blocks (2:31)
11. Somebody's Back In Town (2:54)
12. One Step Forward (3:41)
13. Our Baby's Gone (3:23)
14. He's Back And I'm Blue (3:17)
15. Every Picture Of You (4:25)

Front Cover Included

http://www86.zippyshare.com/v/bWFCU0fy/file.html

Searnav said...

Emmylou Harris And The Desert Rose Band - Bluegrass Festival 1986

Emmylou Harris, Chris Hillman, Bill Bryson, Herb Pedersen, John Jorgenson, Steve Duncan, Jaydee Maness

Not available in stores

1. Introduction (1:15)
2. She Never Did Say So To Daddy (3:09)
3. If I Could Only Win Your Love (2:58)
4. I Really Had A Ball Last Night (3:10)
5. Making Believe (3:58)
6. One Of These Days (3:29)
7. Sin City (4:38)
8. Wheels (3:32)
9. Together Again (3:55)
10. Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down (3:40)
11. The Price I Pay (3:40)

Front Cover Included

http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/RghSoNfW/file.html

Searnav said...

Elvis Presley – Elvis Presley

RCA Victor EPB-1254 (USA March 1956)

Ultra-rare promo double EP (2 x 4 track 45 rpm record with gatefold picture sleeve) that was released at the same time as Elvis Presley’s first LP (march 1956).

Note: the back sleeve has side 2 and side 3 titles mixed up.

Disc 1

1. Side 1 - 01 - Blue Suede Shoes (1:59)
2. Side 1 - 02 - I'm Counting On You (2:23)
3. Side 2 - 01 - I Got A Woman (2:24)
4. Side 2 - 02 - One-Sided Love Affair (2:10)

Disc 2

5. Side 3 - 01 - Tutti Frutti (1:59)
6. Side 3 - 02 - Tryin' To Get To you (2:32)
7. Side 4 - 01 - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (2:02)
8. Side 4 - 02 - I'll Never Let You Go (2:24)

Complete Artwork Included (front, back, inside of the gatefold cover, discs, labels)

http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/3b1HIEoG/file.html

bostig said...

Thanks searnav

Unknown said...

ALEX CHILTON Live at the Howlin Wolf New Orleans-CD1 1994
CD rip.
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/Sd8sAo0V/file.html

ALEX CHILTON Live at the Howlin Wolf New Orleans-CD2 1994
CD rip.
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/w9y6Pw8e/file.html

BIG BILL BROONZY Anthologie du blues vol 8
Vinyl rip.
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/f71FxFkr/file.html

JIMMY REED shame shame shame KRAZY KAT comp
Vinyl rip.
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/i6eB5T4j/file.html

JUDE No One Is Really Beautiful 1998
Boston singer and songwriter. A really beautiful album, unfortunately forgotten (just one more). A fUnk-soul-pop party with great compos!Don't miss !
CD rip.
http://www78.zippyshare.com/v/jtT6eDqd/file.html

THEE MIDNITERS In thee midnite hour !!!!
CD rip.
http://www92.zippyshare.com/v/drr1n4Oe/file.html

Thanks for OV Wright box !
Johnny Diego, excellent 1979 selection !

Gyro1966 said...

Keep The Links Alive:

Sawdust Brothers - Tennessee Rose '15
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/T6u7voQ9/file.html

Saved and Sanctified - Songs of the Jade Label '15
http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/vnc6xNT4/file.html

Lilly Hiatt - Royal Blue '15
http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/XcJ8YzlZ/file.html

John Prine - September 78 '15
http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/n1YfErtT/file.html

Beach Boys - Today! (Mini LP PT-SHM Universal Japan 2014) '65
http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/83204170/file.html

beach boys - All Summer Long (Mini LP PT-SHM Universal Japan 2014)'64
http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/82684097/file.html

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead (1970, MFSL 2014)
http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/s8YbRuIL/file.html

Dr. John Dr. John's Gumbo '72
http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/T4xi5FMk/file.html

Dr. John Gris-Gris '68
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/E4pvGeuD/file.html

Dr. John In the Right Place '73.
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/Km88PWW3/file.html

Dr. John Remedies '70
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/Za25dKDk/file.html

Dr. John The Sun, Moon & Herbs '71
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/QedZgpVc/file.html

Eccentric Soul - The Way Out Label (2014)
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/49903008/file.html
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/93469083/file.html

How Can I Keep From Singing Vol. 1+2
http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/14269959/file.html
http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/2234083/file.html

Lonnie Brooks - Roadhouse Rules '96
http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/zPLZWDil/file.html

Larry Jon Wilson - New Beginnings '75
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/qZe69bAW/file.html

Larry Jon Wilson - let me sing '76
http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/bM5JQxu4/file.html

maxwell street
http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/56962419/file.html
http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/1673245/file.html
http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/63089382/file.html

jesse dayton - raisin cain '95
http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/6qjDRpUp/file.html

outta sight R&B Singles Collection 1
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/5730300/file.html

The Golden Torch Story - goldmine
http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/36167586/file.html

The Hollies - Radio Fun
http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/72381190/file.html

Trini Lopez - Rhythm and Blues Album '64
http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/b6SMTUiM/file.html

william clarke - Rockin' the Boat '88
http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/ir4Km5Zr/file.html

William Clarke - Rare Tracks 77-95
http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/9uOiVjWI/file.html

doughboys - act your rage '09
http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/36868583/file.html

Townes Van Zandt - box set
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/9A3EBjVd/file.html
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/RrprbNun/file.html
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/Gc9TPqhH/file.html
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/SRFehr1U/file.html

Jimmy Scott - The Source '70
http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/rsigiX8a/file.html

Rev. Gary Davis - Demons & Angels
http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/RCHxHG8m/file.html
http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/gM2tNCLK/file.html
http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/olwo5L1m/file.html

bob dylan - rock solid '80
http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/GuEDPbqs/file.html

andrew mcmahon - blueblood '73
http://www77.zippyshare.com/v/EU8swypM/file.html

George Barnes - Gibson At Work 1938-1957 (El Toro)
http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/Kt2PtyA7/file.html
http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/6Q1hDpqh/file.html

Celebration Big Sur '70
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/svQKTnHx/file.html

Lone Justice - This Is Lone Justice The Vaught Tapes 1983 (2014)
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/72177457/file.html

Nuggets From The Iranian 60s Scene
http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/58839697/file.html

Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - Under the Covers Vol. 3 (2013)
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/98504360/file.html

zephyr said...

Thank you Searnav for Desert Rose Band and Emmylou

Gyro1966 said...

Johnny D - I was a high school kid in 1978, yet i still bought these albums and was trying to turn my fellow classmates and friends on to this stuff back then. Unfortunately, most were listening to only classic rock so it fell on deaf ears.

kevinpat said...

@JohnnyDiego 1977 I was 23 and on a whim I drove 45 minutes to purchase an album I had only read a small review of. Anything to listen to instead of that Foreigner/BillyJoel/Eagles that dominated the airwaves. It was Talking Heads '77. I played it through and said "What the heck was that?" I played it again and that was it for me. A few weeks later I was in CBGBs and proud owner of Ramones/Blondie/Shirts/Television/PattiSmith singles and albums. Onto the Sex Pistols and (my beloved) Clash/(my beloved)Buzzcocks and Costello……My records collection needed a new shelf. At the time I thought the next wave, the New Wave was watered down synth punk but eventually I became less a purist and fell in with (my beloved) Cure/Banshees/Adam & The Ants (hahahaa)Echo/Wire/Fall/GangofFour etc. It was a classic time in R&R, one that needs a resurgence so badly now. The other day I was in a health food store and a little girl about 4 or 5 was making loud noises from the other side of the store. She was running through the aisle repeating these sounds (in health food stores the mothers allow their kids to be free…). She came down the aisle I was in and went up to two folks and asked if they knew what song she was singing. They nervously told her "No". She came up to me (a former 1st grade teacher) and said "Do you know what song this is?" And proceeded to sing this garbles chant. I told her "Yes! Yes! That's….. " not really knowing just playing along. She said "That's right! It's Rockaway Beach!! Rock, rock rockaway beach!! Do you wanna sing it with me??" I thought (but didn't say it this way…) Oh hell yes!! And the two of us shouted out Rockaway Beach while folks just giggled to themselves. How far we have come. Johnny would be proud. Hey ho. Let's go!

heylee said...

Gyro, thank you for sharing and keeping alive, The Beach Boys, Jimmy Scott...great.

kevinpat said...

Okay so Brian over the very fun @http://lineartrackinglives.blogspot.com just turned me onto a band I never knew. Popguns….? Right up my 10,000Maniacs/Belly alley. I found their Another Year…collection but nothing more. Any out there in the Twilight Zone?? I would be forever in your debt. Kind of…. Thank you friends!! (Check out Brian stuff over there!!)

Anonymous said...

In '78 I turned ten, but by the end of '80 I'd discovered Blondie and Devo, and before long, the Clash. My Kiss records seemed just pointless and stupid after that.

Thank you Johnny D.

-Xtm

JohnnyDiego said...

I too seemed to be listening to the new wave in a vacuum. Very few of my close friends could have cared less about it, although XTC, Talking Heads, and Elvis Costello were making waves. My wife knew she was swimming upstream and quit complaining. I took a picture of my daughter and her cherubic face holding the Sex Pistols album, Never Mind The Bullocks, to the delight of me alone. Even my band mates shook their heads at the collection of flexi-discs that I owned.
To all who have musical experiences that they might think unique to themselves, let me welcome all of you to TWILIGHTZONE! You are no longer alone.

Cambot said...

JohnnyDiego

Your comment today resonated with me as well. I, too, had given up on rock in the early seventies except for Beefheart, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop and a few others. I focused more on jazz and classical. By the mid-seventies, however, things started turning around although you wouldn't know it from listening to the formerly-underground FM rock stations. Fortunately, I lived in Los Angeles so I had access to Rodney Bingenheimer's show on KROQ (Rodney On the Roq). That's how I found my way back to rock. If anyone has airchecks of his shows from back then, this would be a good place to share them.

Mellotext said...

THE SAVAGE ROSE
Dodens Triumf (1972)

JohnnyD - here's another musical experience for you... I made a (TDK) cassette of this LP back in 1974 ( a friend had bought it in Denmark) and it survived college, bedsits, communal squats, punk, new wave, work, family, children - until finally lost/stolen in the late 80s. I've listened to other LPs by Savage Rose over the years but none had a similar impact. Only recently came across it again and it still sounds good to me - while also evoking another time and space. Not to everyone's taste but our old pal Richie has this much to say:

An unheralded landmark in art rock, this features Savage Rose keyboardist Thomas Koppel's score for a ballet by Flemming Flindt (the title translates to "Triumph of Death"). Nearly entirely instrumental (one song features Annisette on vocals), this is one of the finest classically influenced rock records. Moody and melancholy, at times almost doomy, yet always melodic, this 40-minute selection of haunting pieces prominently features the group's unique underwater organ sound and makes for compelling listening (Richie Unterberger, ALL MUSIC)

http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/C8aUecst/file.html



exooregon said...

RYP..thanks for the live H.P. Lovecraft". I saw them twice at the Fillmore...maybe even this show! I don't love everything by them, but enough of their music that I bought both of their albums when they cam out back in the day...and have the same on CD. I haven't noticed any mention in this or the previous post, but Jerry McGeorge had been in the Shadow Of Knight before this band. Thanks again!

SilentWay said...

Hey Ryp...Great post! Just wanted to let you know how much I love your blog and all the people you get to share in comments!

Cheers!!

Gremlin said...

@kevinpat great & heartwarning story, seems like there's still some hope left after all.

gypsykat said...

RYP - thanks for offering up this previously unseen HP Lovecraft. Love it! Sounds like the band I always thought they should have been.

Thanks, Gyro, for the George Barnes, and for filling some holes in my Dr. John collection. Looking forward to listening to the Iranian Nuggets, too.

Another very rewarding day on TZ!

luis said...

Centro-Matic Redo The Stacks (or 1996 2014 Remastered version)(320)
http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/CDvS6Nkx/file.html

my link not my rip
enjoy
Luis

Gyro1966 said...

Jillem - I guess I'm not shocked that israbox posts our gospel stuff.

Anonymous said...

Cambot;

I've spotted a small handful of ROTR airchecks online in the past though this was a few years (and computers) ago and I no longer have them. I'm sure that there must be a couple still floating around. I, too, would love to hear them again.

If I can turn up any, I'll post links in the TZ Comments.

-Xtm

SonofTransitFord said...

To Johnny Diego: Strangely I read your post just after getting home from a free Bunnymen gig at Sefton Park here in Liverpool (31/08/15). They're still sounding good bro! J (in Liverpool) PS DO IT CLEAN - KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!

kevinpat said...

@Gremlin :)) Thanks!

luis said...

Canadian (italian Twee Pop Band)
2007 A sky with no Star (320)
http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/kWnJtZuh/file.html
2010 The Fall of 1960 (320)
http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/UGuqbN0F/file.html

My link not my rip
enjoy
luis

syaver said...

Northern Madman - Just saw the note in a previous post. I know you aren't reading these right now, but know my thoughts are with you and your family.

Ice House Slim said...

@exooregon:

Jerry McGeorge's replacement Geoff Boyan was formerly in Saturday's Children. Of course the Shadows of Knight and Saturday's Children were on the Dunwich label (named after a H.P.Lovecraft story) as well as HPL singer George Edwards who had a single or two on the label.

Anonymous said...

Tanx for Lovecraft and Townes. Great as these are, my question is "What's wrong with KISS?" I still like them!

jonder said...

Great stories from JohnnyD, Cambot and Kevinpat. My own turning point from FM radio rock toward underground sounds involved taping and studying a weekly Milwaukee radio show called "Q Wave", then trading tapes with people who were more aware of punk (as well as older stuff from the Velvets and the MC5). I gave up Rolling Stone for Creem, and then Trouser Press and fanzines. I also have to credit the music on SNL and its copycat show Fridays (the Clash, the Jam, Devo, Captain Beefheart...) as well as a PBS program called "Alive from Off Center".

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gyro

The Townes Van Zandt box set is a ripper.


Regards


Rhod