"Best Of" - I guess that's better than "Greatest Hits" for a vocal group which barely scraped the bottom of the charts with their most commercially successful efforts. That's not to say that their music wasn't good, it was just "out of time." While the group recorded from 1953 to 1963, the bulk of their output, mainly on M-G-M's Cub subsidiary, from 1958 to 1962, consisted of so-called "standards," often harking back to the 1930s, not exactly something a circa 1960 DJ would be likely to take off and run with. As a few sidelights, note that one of their Savoy tracks is actually entitled Hey Mae Ethyl NOT Hey Ethyl Mae, as it appears on the insert's track list; and that their 4 tracks for Decca in 1954 billed the group as "The Singing Wanderers."
Ray Pollard was the group's principal lead singer, and Unca Marvy Goldberg tells their story better than I ever could on his Website, so I refer you to him for in-depth group details.
I must say that, in the main, these guys gave quality performances, and I recommend their works highly to all lovers of vocal group harmony. (R&B Review)
Read all about The Wanderers here:
http://www.uncamarvy.com/Wanderers/wanderers.html
trax:
01 For Your Love 02 A Teenage Quarrel 03 Only When You're Lonely 04 I Could Make You Mine 05 There Is No Greater Love 06 Please 07 I'm Waiting In Green Pastures 08 I'll Never Smile Again 09 Great Jumpin' Catfish 10 Thinking Of You 11 She Where's My Ring 12 As Time Goes By 13 My Shining Hour 14 I'm Not Ashamed 15 A Little Too Long 16 Two Hearts On A Window Pane 17 Shadrach, Meshack & Abednego 18 Collecting Hearts 19 I Walk Through A Forest 20 Sally Goodheart 21 Somebody Else's Sweetheart 22 I Need You More 23 Three Roses 24 Don't Drop It 25 Hey Ethylmae 26 My First, Last And Only Girl 27 We Could Find Happiness 28 Say Hey, Willie Mays 29 Don't Do Nothing I Wouldn't Do 30 Wrong Party Again
...served by Gyro1966...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
THE WANDERERS "Best Of: For Your Love"
...served by Gyro1966...
gitit! no pw
http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/6062366/file.html
Seems interesting but that is what discovering these sounds is all about. Thank you for allowing us to hear what perhaps may never ever be heard. Thank you.
Thanks
merci beaucoup, excellent groupe doo-wop ..
Love this obscure and hard-to-find stuff. Much thanks.
Post a Comment