Them was a Northern Irish band formed in Belfast in 1963, best known for the garage rock standard "Gloria" and launching singer Van Morrison's career. The band featured Van Morrison on vocals and harmonica, Billy Harrison on guitar, Eric Wrixen on piano and keyboards, Alan Henderson on bass, and Ronnie Millings on drums, with other musicians replacing or contributing during the life of the band.
In 1967 the band relocated from Ireland to California in the middle of Summer Of Love to recored this album. Album opens with british-invasion-acid-garagey tune "I'm Your Witch Doctor" - hard tempo with groovy organ made this short number sweet, but aswell trippy. Next song is "What's the Matter Baby" and intro riff sure sounds like intro riff to the Doors' "Hycinth House" - it's not just a coincidence, Them was hugely influenced by The Doors and they tour together quite ofently, although mentioned song was released in 1970, 3 years after the release of "What's the Matter Baby". "Truth Machine" is another acid rock number with poppy flavour - Beatlesque guitars and catchy chorus, but nothing too special to hold your breath. However, next song may not only take your breath, but your mind aswell. "Square Room", long psychedelic jam track is in range with other epic psychedelic classics that clocks over 7 minutes, like "The End" from The Doors or "The Fool" by Quicksilver Messenger Service, or even "Mind Flowers" from Ultimate Spinach. Guitar sound is so mindbending, those tempting violinas are ultimate touch to the exploding consciousness, and I love integrity of the jam, they never go too experimental, always staying under bounderies of good taste - but the boundaries of tripping are already broken. "You're Just What I Was Looking For Today" continues in regular acid rock fashion, bit of pop - bit of psych. Addition of a flute makes song sound much more nicer. "Dirty Old Man (At The Age Of Sixteen)" is probably top of garge-psych they achieved on this album. Sounding like it was included in "Nuggets" collection, dirty voice of Kenny McDowell is perfect for atmosphere, althought I think the song is about a pedophile (?)."Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out" is soulful ballad with chill atmosphere - tempo is a really earcandy, a nice filler. "Walking In The Queen's Garden" is another potential "Nuggets" tune - sounding like Eric Burdon & The Animals just about when they moved to California in the 1967 (when they recorded "Wind Of Change") - organ and distorted fuzzy garage guitar are main actors here. "I Happen To Love You" is a buttkicker - it's like The Kinks on acid - fuzz guitar, but with hippie flute to trip out. "Come To Me" is last song on album, with soothing rhyhtm recalling hippie folk, mixed with british-invasion ballad style. However, I feel somehow disappointed that such potential shown in "Square Room" isn't used in other songs - dazzy vocals and atmosphere and such great songwriting made peak in one song, but others are just average garage psych. When I heard "Square Room" I expected much more - although this album isn't bad - it could've been much more better if they followed experimental side of "Square Room". Highly recommended to all garage-psych (The Nuggets) fans and british-invasion-went-psychedelic followers. (The 60's Sound Blog)
trax:
01 I'm Your Witch Doctor 02 What's The Matter Baby 03 Truth Machine 04 Square Room 05 You're Just What I Was Looking For Today 06 Dirty Old Man (At The Age Of Sixteen) 07 Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out 08 Walking In The Queen's Garden 09 I Happen To Love You 10 Come To Me 11 Walking In The Queen's Garden (Mono Single Mix) 12 I Happen To Love You (Mono Single Mix)
...served by Gyro1966...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
THEM "Now and Them"
...served by Gyro1966...
gitit! no pw
http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/21033089/file.html
Thanks
Post a Comment