Great Gospel Men is perhaps the best collection of gospel you will find anywhere. Many people refer to all kinds of music as gospel. But, this is the epitome of gospel, the soulful sounds of people communing with the holy spirit. I read that some people had to be restrained from jumping into a waterway when Norsalus McKissick sang Ship of Zion on a cruise for christians. Had the women jumped, I suspect Jesus would have been there to catch them just as God was there to part the Red Sea. There is no doubt the heavenly father heard McKissick moaning "It ain't no danger in the water," and would have been there to prove it. (Dorothy Fox, Amazon)As gospel scholar Anthony Heilbut points out in his notes, the most celebrated male gospel singers (R.H. Harris, Sam Cooke, Claude Jeter, Julius Cheeks, Ira Tucker) sang in harmony-group "quartets." On this disc, Heilbut focuses on the neglected tradition of male soloists. Joe May, James Cleveland, and Alex Bradford are fairly well known, but the raspy, bluesy vocals of Eugene Smith and Robert Anderson and the powerful Paul Robeson-like baritones of J. Earle Hines and J. Robert Bradley are welcome revelations. There are 27 performances in all from nine different singers. --Geoffrey Himes, Amazon
trax:
1. Move On Up A Little Higher - Brother Joe May 2. Testimony - Brother Joe May 3. Working On A Building - Brother Joe May 4. Our Father - Brother Joe May 5. God Be With You - Proffessor J.Earle Hines 6. This Old Soul Of Mine - Proffessor J.Earle Hines 7. Precious Memories - Norsalus McKissick 8. The Old Ship Of Zion - Norsalus McKissick 9. I've Got A Home For You - Norsalus McKissick 10. Satisfied - Eugene Smith 11. Saved - Eugene Smith 12. Marching To Zion - James Cleveland 13. My Soul Looks Back - James Cleveland 14. Prayer Changes Things - Robert Anderson 15. In My Home Over There - Robert Anderson 16. Sweeter As The Days Go By - Robert Anderson 17. If Jesus Had To Pray - Robert Anderson 18. Poor Pilgrim Of Sorrow - J. Robert Bradley 19. Roll All Burdens Away - J. Robert Bradley 20. The Lord Is My Shepherd - J. Robert Bradley 21. I Want To Rest - R.L. Knowles 22. Live The Life I Sing About - R.L. Knowles 23. Every Day And Every Hour - Professor Alex Bradford 24. Judgement - Professor Alex Bradford 25. Lord, Lord, Lord - Professor Alex Bradford 26. Near The Cross - Professor Alex Bradford 27. What Folks Say About Me - Professor Alex Bradford
...served by Gyro1966...

5 comments:
"THE GREAT GOSPEL MEN"
...served by Gyro1966...
gitit! no pw
http://www.multiupload.com/CFQ9UH8RAB
Thanks Gyro. I'm glad I could share something with you you were missing. I love all the gospel you've been uploading. Don K.
Great collection. Thank you!
You are doing Gospel fans proud just lately, especially needed now that ''Catch That Train...'' is no longer around.
Actually Brian, Bless My Bones is still active and Ryp has kindly added a link in his blogroll. Gyro is adding some superb gospel, too.
Post a Comment